As anyone who knows me knows, I am absolutely in love with pizza. If there was one thing I could choose to eat for the rest of my life, it would be pizza. If I could marry a food, it would most definitely be pizza. Ok… you get the point. (I even once participated in a 3-hour long photoshoot dedicated to my undying love for pizza!) When I went vegan, I knew the first thing I had to do was create a vegan pizza that I could eat without ever missing the “real” thing. And this sun dried tomato pizza definitely does it.
The star of this dish is the sauce, because with it, you don’t even need cheese! The sauce is so creamy and rich that with the addition of your favorite toppings, no one will even notice the lack of cheese. It doubles as the sauce and cheese for this pizza. The flavors of garlic and sun dried tomatoes make the cream savory, “cheesy,” and delicious.
This crispy thin crust pizza is the perfect serving size for 2 (it may be personal sized if you are a pizza fiend like me ????) and I chose simple toppings so the rich, creamy sauce could shine through.
Topped with sliced tomatoes, roasted corn, fresh basil, and a healthy dose of your favorite vegan parmesan, this pizza is truly one that vegans and non-vegans alike will love! Don’t forget to let me know if you try it out and let me know what you think!
- ½ cup + 2 tbsp full-fat coconut milk
- 4 cloves garlic
- ⅛-1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1½ cups flour
- ½ cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 packet instant yeast (1/4 oz.)
- ¼ cup roasted corn
- ¼ cup basil leaves
- 1-2 roma tomatoes
- vegan parmesan
- Preheat oven to 450 F. For the dough, mix water, sugar, and oil together in a small bowl. In a separate large bowl, whisk flour, salt, and instant yeast. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour wet ingredients into the well. Mix together and knead with hands. If dough is too sticky, add flour 1 tbsp at a time until not sticky. I ended up adding 2 extra tbsp of flour.
- After you knead the dough thoroughly, put it back in the bowl and cover with a towel or plastic wrap in a warm environment. Leave for about an hour to rise.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface until it is about 12 inches in diameter.
- Blend all ingredients for pizza sauce together in a blender until smooth. I used slightly more than ⅛ cup of sun-dried tomatoes. Spread sauce over the pizza dough (I used almost all of the sauce). Top with sliced tomatoes, sliced basil, and roasted corn, along with any desired toppings of choice. Brush outer crust with olive oil if desired, to brown.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, until crust begins to brown. Let cool and serve topped with your favorite vegan parmesan!