These delicious Mediterranean-inspired baked sweet potato noodles are a healthy, low-carb alternative to traditional pasta! Topped with fresh chopped cilantro, toasted pine nuts, zaatar-roasted chickpeas, broiled cherry tomatoes, and a creamy dreamy tahini sauce, these noodles are irresistible!
The Paderno spiralizer (available online, inexpensive on Amazon Prime!) has been a lifesaver for me, allowing me to magically turn tons of veggies into long, curly noodles! Look how beautifully these sweet potatoes turned out. I have tried handheld spiralizers before, but especially for hard vegetables like sweet potatoes, the Paderno works best and requires the least amount of muscle. ????
Tossed in some olive oil and sumac, one of my favorite Middle Eastern spices, these noodles become perfectly tender when baked in the oven. The sumac gives it a tangy, citrus-like flavor to complement the zaatar and tahini.
This recipe saves you time by allowing you to simultaneously bake the sweet potato noodles, zaatar-spiced chickpeas, and cherry tomatoes. In just over half an hour, this meal is ready to be devoured! Just make sure to drizzle it with an extra-healthy dose of this creamy, dreamy tahini sauce first!
Let me know if you try this recipe in the comments below, or pin it for later! And I would love to see your recreations on Instagram @zenanzaatar! ????
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp sumac
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 cups cooked or canned chickpeas
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 tsp zaatar spice
- 1½ cups cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup tahini (sesame paste)
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup + 1 tbsp water
- ½ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 425F. Spiralize sweet potatoes into long noodles. Toss noodles with olive oil, salt, sumac, black pepper, and garlic powder. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 18-22 mins, until tender.
- Toss chickpeas with olive oil and zaatar. Cut cherry tomatoes in half and toss with olive oil and salt. Place the chickpeas and tomatoes on a baking sheet and bake for 20-25 mins. You can bake the sweet potato noodles, chickpeas, and tomatoes simultaneously.
- Meanwhile, prepare the tahini sauce by whisking together tahini, lemon juice, water, and salt. Set aside.
- Place the pine nuts on a baking sheet and put them in the oven to toast for 5-10 mins, careful not to burn them. Set aside for topping.
- Toss baked sweet potato noodles with chopped cilantro, some of the tahini sauce, and broiled tomatoes. Top with zaatar roasted chickpeas and toasted pine nuts. Serve with extra tahini sauce on the side. Enjoy!